Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Timing is Everything

I ran an easy - or what should have been easy - 3.6 miles on Monday. Likely I knew I was getting sick as I'd spent the entire day with Seb, Kate and Ted on Saturday and Seb was just getting over a scratchy throat, cold-like, flu-ish type thing that wiped him out for a couple of days. And by Monday I was feeling like it was perhaps going to set it for me. So I worked through lunch, went home an hour early and decided I had to go for a run before I got actually sick since any impending illness would pretty much negate any running I'd planned on doing for the next few days. So I did a loop around the Reservoir and the back streets to my house. 3.6 miles. And the last .5 miles or so I kept thinking, "I can't do this anymore. Why do I do this to myself? Why did I tell Kate I'd run a half-marathon let alone a full one? Who do I think I am? I can't do this."

And then I checked my mail on my way upstairs and saw the Runner's Log and Supplement that comes as a free gift with every subscription to Runner's World. Only I hadn't subscribed to Runner's World. Kate had done it for me.

Suddenly, I wasn't in pain anymore.