Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Revvin' up your engine, Listen to her howlin' roar

The nice thing about working at a fancy institution of higher learning with a gym on site is that you can take advantage of said gym and its shower facilities mid-day and go for a run. The other nice thing about this here institution is its position along the Charles River, which affords many scenic running locations. Most come with a lovely helping of Storrow Drive exhaust as well but for water views, I take what I can get.

Also, it's 76 degrees out. Perfect running weather. And while there is a track and multiple treadmills available at the gym for running in inclement weather, I have to take advantage of this while I can. Tomorrow it could be 95. Or 4. It's New England, anything is possible.

When I run outside I also take my new best friend, the Nike + iPod do-hickey with me. It's not the super fancy one. Just the one with the little sensor that attaches to your shoe and sends it's magical messages to another little sensor connected to your iPod. Then you set it for distance or time and a nice man or woman (depending on how you have it set up) informs you how far you've gone and how far you have left to go. I always enjoy getting wrapped up in the music only to have the nice man (whom I've decided is attractive in a non-threatening way) pipe up and tell me "2 miles to go." It's helpful. Also helpful? The fact that whoever designed this little gizmo had the foresight to allow you to program a "power song." That being, no matter what you're doing or what you're in the middle of, you can hold down the center button for a few seconds and your power song will start playing. You know, for when you need your "pumpiest jams" (TM Capewind).

My power song? Europe's "The Final Countdown" obviously. Frankly, I'm surprised you had to ask.

Anyway, today's lunch run was a 5 miler at a 10:10 pace (Attractive in a Non-Threatening Way iPod Man will also tell you your pace), which is a little slower than I'd like but I'm okay with it since it's also my longest run since last week's 7.25 miler. The power song made an appearance but today's pumpiest jam was that Kenny Loggins' classic "Danger Zone." Which song always makes me think of Kate's husband Seb because of, well, because of this:






















Basically, I just picture Seb as Viper telling me that he's not here to "blow sunshine up my ass" and to keep running. It seems to help.